Thursday 8 November 2018

Study Task 1: Writing my Question

Using the 5 five mash up titles/themes that I have created using one of each of the 3 categories, I have begun to make a mind map of possible areas that I could explore.


The 5 mash ups:

  • Funky, festival branding, colour theory
  • Experimental, miniature designs, aesthetics
  • Illustrative, humorous design, music research
  • Colourful, interactive designed, grid systems
  • Cutesy miniature things, using print making

Ideas that appear in my mind map:

  • Think about my hobbies/personal interests, in particular; music/festivals/gigs etc. Could base my question on this, a certain music genre, re-branding/branding a festival or combined with merchandise. Design my own line up?
  • Combine the theme of print making with experimentation; combination of 3 different print methods for one concept
  • The link between girly/cutesy things and miniature...a tiny book feminine book?
  • Represent hobbies/music elements as miniatures 
  • Feminine aesthetic for something that isn't feminine at all...e.g. pink footballs, relating to the theme of humorous design that also interests me
  • Combine book binding and miniature things...with humour? A tiny book which displays photographs of large things like whales, with a massive book that displays photos of tiny things like ants
  • Colour theory and aesthetics, colour plays a big part in the aesthetic of something
  • Illustrative, humorous designs that represent my personal interests such as music


Furthermore, I felt that my ideas focus highly on the aesthetic of something using in different contexts; e.g. the big and small book idea- the scale gives each book a different aesthetic. Additionally, one of my ideas was to create a set of 3 zines which all focus on the same topic/brief (using the same content) but all follow an extremely different aesthetic- focusing on how each zine makes the reader feel even though the content is all the same...

  • How does aesthetics affect design?
  • How much impact does the aesthetic have on the design concept?
  • How much impact does the aesthetic of a design have on the reader?


No comments:

Post a Comment