Sunday 15 April 2018

Study Task 8: Postcard Designs

I have decided to develop my final 3 cats in hats designs by showing them printed in different contexts and different scale; a set of 3 postcards to go with the 3 posters designs.

The same 3 edited cat collages were used within the postcards, but this time I used just the face of the cat instead of the whole body. This was because I wanted to emphasise the idea of the cat wearing a hat even more than the posters did, using the whole body could become too busy and distracting on a smaller scale as the details would be a lot harder to see. The postcards also only use the face of that cat so that the designs don't look the exact same as the posters; playing around with layout.

Also, I have decided to add abstract patterned backgrounds on the postcards designs to continue with the idea of fun and contrast that I wanted to achieve within the cats in hats concept. I think that the simple pattern backgrounds create a nice contrast with the detailed, collaged aesthetic of the cats. A collaged background would have become too distracting and busy.  Furthermore, for the postcards I used the same colour scheme as the posters so that they both link together despite the scale and layout differences. The postcard screen prints use the same colour for the background and the hat, with the cat screen printed in black.

I decided to create the postcards in A6 size rather than A5 as a smaller scale works better for a postcard; a typical postcard is A6 size. A smaller size also helps to give the postcard designs/cats more of a cutesy style.




No comments:

Post a Comment