Tuesday 8 October 2019

COP Presentation Feedback

Today I had my COP Presentation in front of Amber, Simon and a group of my peers. The overall aim of the presentation was to communicate how my question has changed from my proposal, what I have researched over summer, the key points and arguments I will discuss in my essay, practical ideas and my time plan.

I found that the overall presentation went well and the tutors agreed that I was right to change my question from my proposal to what it is now as culture is such a wide subject. I also received a lot of helpful feedback for my practical which I needed most, I feel that I can now move forward with my practical and make some tweaks to the idea as well as more things to discuss in my essay.

Notes and feedback from presentation:

  • For the question, go with the more detailed version instead of 'to what extent does culture impact design' as culture is so broad, I agree with that I should go with the second version of my question.
  • Maybe don't just focus on food products, focus on different products that relate to and represent that culture...some further research
  • The westernised view of Japanese design- what we initially think, very typical Japanese, is this culturally appropriate etc
  • Discuss in essay how things are designed to look stereotypical to that culture when they might not actually be appropriate, e.g. a cactus image on Mexican food packaging and how we consume that because we think it looks more authentic...
  • The practical doesn't necessarily have to be a cross-cultural contrast project. Still focus on products and packaging from a specific culture though.
  • Cross cultural design research is really interesting, keep going with this. Look more into stereotypes etc

No comments:

Post a Comment