Thursday 3 October 2019

Practical Initial Ideas

I've now started to come up with some ideas for what I could design for my practical, it is important that my essay builds into my practical work- both need to have strong links between each other.

My initial ideas focus on creating designs for food packaging and branding as food is one of the biggest parts of every culture. Also, throughout my reading I came across a lot of cultural psychology theories which touch on cultural differences within mannerisms and ways of doing daily tasks, food was one of the main examples used, e.g. chopsticks vs knife and fork.

Initial Ideas:

  • The practical should show an example of a product being made and designed to function appropriately for another culture...

  • Branding/packaging- Indian spices packaging designed for Japanese culture vs Japanese sushi packaging designed for Indian culture- design both products. A Cross-cultural contrast project. This would show the importance that as a designer we must consider the clients' culture in order to designing something appropriate for them- this point will be mentioned in my essay.

  • Examples for branding and design other than food packaging could be app design, homeware, accessories, architecture.



Below show mood boards for inspiration when starting my practical work. Mood board 1 focuses more on posters and advertising design from different cultures that I found interesting, whereas mood board 2 focuses on Indian and Japanese food packaging and branding (which is what I want to focus on for my practical cultural contrast project)

Mood board 1

Mood board 2

No comments:

Post a Comment