Thursday 10 October 2019

New Practical Idea

During the presentation I asked for advice on my practical, the feedback mentioned that it doesn't necessarily have to be a cross-cultural contrast project, but still focus on products and packaging from a specific culture.

Another piece of feedback mentioned that I should discuss in essay how things are designed to look stereotypical to that culture when they might not actually be appropriate. Amber used the example of a cactus image on Mexican food packaging and how we consume that because we think it looks more authentic to Mexican food, because of the stereotypical imagery.

I definitely want to focus on Eastern culture throughout my practical as I'll be comparing Eastern and Western culture in my essay. Also because my background is Eastern culture (Pakistani) so it's personal and relevant, meaning I know a lot about it already.

After a bit of thinking and discussions with friends, I came up with a different developed practical idea, which focuses on Eastern culture through spice packaging:

  • With the visuals, focus more on the concept of process production of the spices, the history and where each spice comes from, the specific areas of Pakistan/India they come from, the plants they come from, the type of people that pick it etc. 
  • Show more of the meaning and stories behind each spice, the history...a deeper meaning than the stereotypical stuff that you see on the packets and think of...like elephants, a mandala, detailed paisley pattern, a spice.
  • Make a list of the stereotypes, the do’s and don’t of each

Furthermore, this summer I designed a logo and initial business card designs for a brand called Season Yorkshire (see blog posts on PPP tagged 'Season Yorkshire'. Season Yorkshire provide hand blended, authentic spices as well as a sell out cook book.

The main aim of the designs was to communicate the Pakistani/Middle eastern culture subtly with an overall modern aesthetic. The things I learnt and research I gathered for this commission would be relevant towards my COP practical work.

No comments:

Post a Comment